Transit police officer shot in line of duty at Surrey SkyTrain station returns to work

Metro Vancouver Transit Police Const. Josh Harms seen back at his desk in New Westminster Tuesday, May 7, 2019. Harms was shot in the line of duty at Scott Road SkyTrain station in Surrey on Jan. 30, 2019. Metro Vancouver Transit Police

The transit police officer who was shot at a Surrey SkyTrain station earlier this year is back at work.

Metro Vancouver Transit Police issued a statement Thursday showing Const. Josh Harms back at his desk in New Westminster, where he returned Tuesday after more than three months off the job.

“After several months of recovery among compassionate family, friends, and coworkers, I am excited to be back at work and contributing to a safer transit system,” Harms said in a statement.

WATCH: (Aired Feb. 4) New details about SkyTrain shooting suspect 

Click to play video: 'New details about SkyTrain shooting suspect Daon Glasgow'
New details about SkyTrain shooting suspect Daon Glasgow

“I look forward to returning to patrol as soon as possible, and would like to thank all who supported me as I navigated this complicated time in life.”

Story continues below advertisement

Transit Police said Harms will be assigned to “light duties with the detectives in the General Investigation Unit” before he’s put back on patrol.

READ MORE: ‘I have so many reasons to be grateful,’ says Transit Police officer Josh Harms injured in shooting

Harms, a three-year member of the force, was shot in both arms in the afternoon of Jan. 30 during an encounter at the Scott Road SkyTrain Station.

Daon Gordon Glasgow was arrested at a home on the Burnaby-Vancouver border after a four-day manhunt that saw large parts of Surrey locked down by police.

WATCH: (Aired Feb. 3) Manhunt for SkyTrain shooting suspect ends

Click to play video: 'Manhunt for SkyTrain shooting suspect ends'
Manhunt for SkyTrain shooting suspect ends

Harms underwent surgery shortly after Glasgow’s arrest along with “extensive physical rehabilitation,” transit police said.

Story continues below advertisement
“[Const. Harms’] quick return to work exemplifies his excellent work ethic and commitment to the Transit Police,” the agency added.

Glasgow is facing charges of attempted murder and unlawful possession of a loaded restricted or prohibited firearm, along with other charges.

READ MORE: Attempted murder, firearms charges laid in Surrey transit officer shooting

His next court appearance is set for May 21.

Transit Police said they are continuing to investigate the shooting and will not be making further comment.

—With files from Simon Little and Amy Judd

Sponsored content