March 15, 2019 3:07 pm

Newfoundland man found guilty of first-degree murder in 5-year-old daughter’s death

Trent Butt is seen in the defendant's box, at St. John's Supreme Court, in St. John's on Thursday, March 14, 2019.

THE CANADIAN PRESS/Holly McKenzie-Sutter

A Newfoundland mother sobbed Friday after a jury convicted her estranged husband of first-degree murder in the death of their five-year-old daughter.

The jury returned Friday afternoon with the verdict against Trent Butt – it carries an automatic life sentence with no chance of parole for 25 years.

It prompted cheers and sobs in the packed courtroom in provincial supreme court in St. John’s, N.L.

Story continues below

READ MORE: Man killed daughter to make his estranged wife suffer, Crown tells N.L. murder trial

His estranged wife, Andrea Gosse, tearfully hugged family members, friends and Crown lawyers.

No one at the trial disputed that Butt killed their daughter Quinn at his Carbonear, N.L., home in April 2016, before setting the house ablaze.

The jury was asked to decide whether the death was planned and deliberate, which would mean Butt was guilty of first-degree murder, or if he was guilty of a lesser charge.

Butt testified at trial that he did not remember killing Quinn, but said he found himself over her body and concluded he must have suffocated her.

Crown lawyer Lloyd Strickland said the killing was a calculated plan to inflict suffering on his estranged wife.

The jury had asked Friday to hear Butt’s testimony again, and to view a security video taken from his house.

The video from the night in question showed Butt moving his truck and later putting something in it. Quinn’s voice is heard on the tape after Butt moved the truck.

READ MORE: Newfoundland murder trial considers letter by man charged in daughter’s death

In closing arguments on Thursday, the Crown pointed to the security video as evidence that the killing was premeditated. The Crown noted that Butt moved the truck before Quinn was killed, suggesting he had been planning to set fire to his home, presumably with Quinn inside.

Butt left a suicide note in the truck saying he had killed Quinn and himself to keep her apart from her mother, Butt’s estranged wife Andrea Gosse.

After closing arguments and the judge’s charge Thursday, jurors deliberated for about four hours before retiring for the evening.

They returned to the courthouse at 9 a.m. local time on Friday and re-entered the courtroom to ask the judge their question a little over two hours later. They returned with a verdict by mid-afternoon.

Butt’s lawyer, Derek Hogan, had argued there was no way to know Butt’s thought process on the night Quinn was killed.

© 2019 The Canadian Press

Report an error


Comments closed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.

Please see our Commenting Policy for more.