Home security video of a young boy getting himself locked in a cooler has sparked a voluntary recall.
Five-year-old Nicholas Wanes was playing at his Pompano Beach, Fl., home on March 2 when he vanished from sight. After screaming for help, the boy’s family rushed over and discovered Nicholas inside of a white Igloo cooler.
Robert Wanes, the boy’s father, shared surveillance video on Facebook, adding “there is something to be learned” from the incident.
A close-up of the footage shows that a clasp on the cooler’s lid was able to close once Nicholas fit his small frame inside. The boy had no way of getting out himself.
The incident was raised with the cooler’s manufacturer, Igloo, and a voluntary recall was issued March 8 for six items with stainless-steel lock latches:
- Igloo® Lockable Latch; Item #00020087
- Igloo® Marine Elite 54 quart; Item #00049374
- Igloo® Marine Elite 72 quart; Item #00049375
- Igloo® Marine Elite 94 quart; Item #00049574
- Igloo® Marine Elite 110 quart; Item #00034108
- Igloo® Marine Elite 150 quart; Item #00049573
“It is possible that the stainless-steel latch could, inadvertently close where a person could potentially become locked inside,” Igloo said in a safety alert.
“We are working closely with our distributors to send customers a free latch-replacement kit that you can use to easily and safely switch out the current latch.”
At this writing, the Government of Canada has not issued an alert related to the product.