January 13, 2019 2:31 pm
Updated: January 13, 2019 3:42 pm

Burning candle causes $100K fire in Montreal

An early morning residential fire on De Lormier Avenue was caused by a candle according to the Montreal fire department. Sunday, Jan. 13, 2019.

Courtesy TVA
A A

Montreal firefighters were called to a residential fire in a story-building on De Lormier Avenue, near Jean-Talon Street, just after 1:30 a.m. on Sunday.

READ MORE: Montreal fire department warning about dangers of kitchen fires

Benoît Martel, chief of operations with the Montreal Fire Department, said the fire started in a room on the second floor.

“It was caused by a candle,” he said.

The building was safely evacuated and residents were able to re-enter their homes, once the fire was put out.

WATCH: Fire safety tips as more candles, fireplaces used over the holidays

Martel said that while no one was injured, damage to the building was considerable.

“It is estimated at more than $100,000,” he said.

© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.