No criminal charges after police standoff in South Okanagan

Click to play video: 'No criminal charges after police standoff in South Okanagan' No criminal charges after police standoff in South Okanagan
A Similkameen man will not face criminal charges after a police standoff that lasted several hours Wednesday night and shut down the highway. Shelby Thom reports from the scene – Nov 29, 2018

An Okanagan man was taken into custody on Wednesday night, with police shutting down part of a local highway to make the arrest under the mental health act.

The incident took place in Olalla, near Keremeos, with police stating the man was arrested at approximately 9 p.m. Police stated the man is facing no criminal charges.

Keremeos RCMP said at the request of local health authorities, they attended a residence in Olalla around 2:30 p.m., with the goal of locating and apprehending a 52-year-old man under the Mental Health Act. But police said the man wasn’t co-operative, so they called in the RCMP’s Southeast District Emergency Response Team, with the incident eventually ending peacefully and the man being taken into custody.

WATCH BELOW: An extended interview with the RCMP following a standoff in Olalla, B.C., on Wednesday.

Click to play video: 'Extended RCMP interview after South Okanagan standoff' Extended RCMP interview after South Okanagan standoff
Extended RCMP interview after South Okanagan standoff – Nov 29, 2018

READ MORE: Police incident closes Highway 3A north of Keremeos

Story continues below advertisement

Neighbours in the direct vicinity of the home said they were evacuated and those who lived across the street were asked to stay indoors during the operation.

“We were stopped and just told to go inside the house, stay inside the house, and if there was any updates they would let us know,” said Jack Wilson.

Police added that they secured the area and closed Highway 3A for a period of time.

READ MORE: Kelowna police standoff ends in ‘peaceful’ arrest

“On our arrival, officers made contact with the man inside his home,” said RCMP Cpl. Dan Moskaluk. “However, he was reluctant to cooperate with police. As a precautionary measure, support and assistance was sought from additional resources including the SED ERT.”

Sponsored content