Laurie Ryan, an artist from West Kelowna, died following a suspected gas leak and partial wall collapse at the villa she was staying in on June 24, according to a letter from Montecristo Estates Luxury Villas.
WATCH: B.C. artist killed in tragic accident in Mexico
Ryan’s death was also announced on her website.
“It is with deep sadness that we let you know that Laurie Ryan has passed away. Please be advised that all art sales have been temporarily put on hold,” read a brief message on the site.
Ryan’s death was also announced on Facebook by Gulf Coast Wildlife Rehab, a Mississippi-based NGO whose t-shirts feature animal drawings and designs created by Ryan.
What are ‘Buy Nothing’ groups? Experts say trend can help Canadians handle inflation
Canada Post employee arrested for stealing over 500 items, Alberta RCMP say
The Facebook post said Ryan is survived by her husband and two sons.
“Her family was her pride and joy. Please remember them in your thoughts and prayers for comfort and peace,” read the post. “Her love of our coastal babies grew during their short time here in Mississippi. Laurie will be horribly missed by her family, friends, fellow artists locally and abroad. Her contributions to this art will never be forgotten. May you forever dance, sweet Laurie. I’m forever blessed having you as my friend, as my sister…”
One of Ryan’s sons, Kristoffer, said in a Facebook post: “I wished I wouldn’t have to say this for many years to come, but goodbye mom. You were such a beautiful soul and had a positive impact on everyone you met. You’ll never know how much you truly meant to us and the world around you. Time for your next adventure. Rest in peace mom, I love you.”
Global Affairs Canada said it was aware of the reports of the death of a Canadian in Cabo San Lucas.
A spokesperson said consular officials were providing assistance to the victim’s family, and that consular officials were in contact with Mexican authorities to gather more details.
Details on the circumstances surrounding the explosion remain unclear.