On May 14, four homeowners faced a fire that caused over $1 million in damages.
According to the City of Edmonton, a cigarette put out in a planter was the cause of a blaze that affected four structures.
The main fire occurred at 1936 – 67 St., spreading to 1932 – 67 St., 1940 – 67 St. and 1944 – 67 St..
The single cigarette caused more than $1 million worth of damage.
The four-structure fire is a reminder to properly extinguish all smoking materials in deep, non-combustible ashtrays.
The reminder is especially important during hot, dry weather.
Despite a fire ban in Edmonton, there were a total of 114 fires over the weekend.
Through complaints reported to 311 or Edmonton fire dispatch, 14 tickets were issued by Community Standards Peace Officers.