Advertisement

1 worker dead, others sick after suspected carbon monoxide leak in Acheson

Several people were taken to hospital after a suspected carbon monoxide leak on Tuesday, Dec. 19, 2017. Global News

One worker died and several others were in hospital Tuesday after a suspected carbon monoxide leak at a business in an industrial park west of Edmonton.

Trent Bancarz with Alberta Occupational Health and Safety said investigators were notified at about 8 a.m. of the leak in Parkland County’s Acheson area.

Six men were rushed to hospital from Dave’s Diesel Repair, added Alex Campbell with Emergency Medical Services. One was in critical condition and five were stable.

“One of the workers has passed away,” said Bancarz.

“Our officers have been on scene and they’re investigating.”

A man who answered a phone at the repair shop said he had no comment.

The website for Dave’s Diesel Repair says the business specializes in heavy-duty engine repairs and maintenance.

Story continues below advertisement

Fire crews were called to assist and control the hazardous environment, said Sarah Mate, a spokeswoman with Parkland County.

Sponsored content