Advertisement

Careless disposal of smoking material cause of Saskatoon apartment fire

Damage estimated at $50,000 in Saskatoon apartment fire caused by the careless disposal of smoking material. Dayne Winter / Global News

A fire at a Saskatoon apartment building in Silverwood Heights on Tuesday evening was caused by the careless disposal of smoking material.

Firefighters arrived at the building at 251 Russell Road at around 7:15 p.m. CT to find smoke and flame coming from a third-storey balcony.

READ MORE: Worker injured at Saskatoon house where fire put out

An exterior fire attack was started and crews entered the apartment to make sure everyone was out.

The remaining units on the floor were also evacuated while firefighters battled the blaze.

It was brought under control in 30 minutes.

READ MORE: Pilot Butte community members rally to support couple who watched their home burn down

No injuries were reported.

Story continues below advertisement

A Saskatoon Fire Department investigator estimated damage to the exterior of the building and the interior of the unit at $50,000.

Sponsored content