November 30, 2015 4:16 pm
Updated: November 30, 2015 4:36 pm

Dog killed after eating kibble allegedly laced with antifreeze in Vaughan, Ont.

Police released this image of the kibble suspected to be poisoned with antifreeze that killed one dog in Vaughan.

York Regional Police Service/Handout
A A

TORONTO — Police have issued a public safety alert and are seeking witnesses following the death of a dog that ate kibble laced with what investigators believe to be antifreeze while on a walk in Vaughan.

Police said a dog and its owner were walking in the Shawbridge Boulevard and Gidleigh Park Crescent area when the dog stopped and began eating something by a mailbox.

Story continues below

Later that day, the dog became “violently ill” and was too weak to walk the next morning so its owner took her to a veterinarian who determined the dog had suffered glycol (antifreeze) poisoning.

Police said that by Friday the dog’s condition had deteriorated so much that she had to be euthanized.

READ MORE: Dog falls ill after allegedly ingesting tainted dog treat at Thorncliffe Park

The owner of the dog contacted police on Monday and investigators located kibble that had been spread over an approximately 4.5 metre area around the mailbox.

The kibble was seized and sent for expert examination to determine if it contains glycol.

The incident follows a similar dog poisoning in a Toronto area park last Friday, in the Thorncliffe Park Drive and Overlea Boulevard area, which led to the animal becoming violently ill.

Police said there is a concern other pets and children can potentially be exposed to the antifreeze-laced kibble.

Police said the investigations are ongoing and anyone with information is asked to contact York Regional Police or Crime Stoppers.

© 2015 Shaw Media

Report an error

Comments

Comments closed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on globalnews.ca, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.

Please see our Commenting Policy for more.