Dog killed after eating kibble allegedly laced with antifreeze in Vaughan, Ont.
TORONTO — Police have issued a public safety alert and are seeking witnesses following the death of a dog that ate kibble laced with what investigators believe to be antifreeze while on a walk in Vaughan.
Police said a dog and its owner were walking in the Shawbridge Boulevard and Gidleigh Park Crescent area when the dog stopped and began eating something by a mailbox.
Later that day, the dog became “violently ill” and was too weak to walk the next morning so its owner took her to a veterinarian who determined the dog had suffered glycol (antifreeze) poisoning.
Police said that by Friday the dog’s condition had deteriorated so much that she had to be euthanized.
The owner of the dog contacted police on Monday and investigators located kibble that had been spread over an approximately 4.5 metre area around the mailbox.
The kibble was seized and sent for expert examination to determine if it contains glycol.
The incident follows a similar dog poisoning in a Toronto area park last Friday, in the Thorncliffe Park Drive and Overlea Boulevard area, which led to the animal becoming violently ill.
Police said there is a concern other pets and children can potentially be exposed to the antifreeze-laced kibble.
Police said the investigations are ongoing and anyone with information is asked to contact York Regional Police or Crime Stoppers.
© 2015 Shaw Media