TORONTO – The NDP is pledging more support for film production and artists if elected to govern the country.
Party Leader Tom Mulcair says a New Democrat government would provide $60 million over four years to Telefilm Canada and the National Film Board, and loosen rules to secure grants from the Canada Council for the Arts.
READ MORE: NDP only party with courage to stand up to Harper on TPP, Mulcair says
Get breaking National news
The NDP says it would also allow self-employed artists to average their incomes, a move they say would make tax filing fairer and more predictable.
Artists would also be able to promote their work internationally through the appointment of cultural attaches at Canadian embassies.
- Carney is starting talks on a lower carbon price in B.C. premier meeting
- Ontario government bans Chinese drones from police operations over data concerns
- Quebec jail guards protest expired contract, growing use of drones to move contraband
- Anand summons Israel envoy over ‘mistreatment’ of Canadians aboard flotilla
And the NDP would create a new $10 million digital content fund to support celebrations of Canada’s 150th anniversary in 2017.
Mulcair also reconfirmed his party’s promise from earlier this year to reverse $115 million in cuts made by the Conservative government to the CBC.
The NDP campaign was in Toronto on Monday following a whirlwind tour of six Conservative ridings in southwestern Ontario the day before.
Comments
Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.