Advertisement
Canada

RV catches fire in Lafontaine Tunnel

Cars outside the Lafontaine tunnel as authorities take care of a truck that caught fire, Thursday, August 20, 2015.
Cars outside the Lafontaine tunnel as authorities take care of a truck that caught fire, Thursday, August 20, 2015. François Joly/Global News

MONTREAL – An RV caught fire inside the Louis-Hippolyte Lafontaine Tunnel, forcing the closure of the northbound lanes.

The incident happened at 9:35 a.m.

It took trapped vehicles about 90 minutes to escape.

It seems like the blaze may have been started by an exterior propane tank.

Transport Québec said there is damage to the electrical system inside the tunnel and has also closed the east and west-bound access from Highway 132.

No injuries have been reported.

Two of the three northbound lanes remain closed due to the fire damage.

Commuters are asked to avoid the area.

Story continues below advertisement