MONCTON, N.B. – The president of the union representing locked-out workers at Acadian Coach Lines says the company’s refusal to enter into binding interest arbitration is “a slap in the face.”
Glen Carr of the Amalgamated Transit Union said Friday he’s disappointed the company did not agree to the proposal, which could have ended a two-week lockout and put buses back on the road.
“We tried for the public to get the public back moving in the buses,” said Carr. “We were willing to take that chance. It may not have been good for us, we don’t know that.”
But Marc-Andre Varin, vice-president of marketing, sales and communications for the Maritimes bus line, said although the union’s proposal could have put buses back on the road, it is not a long-term solution for the company’s issues.
Get breaking National news
He said Acadian has gone through conciliation and mediation with the union, and doesn’t believe binding arbitration would work unless the union changes its negotiating position.
He also said it will not return to the bargaining table until the union shows “openness” in reviewing its clauses related to driver assignment.
“We’re waiting for … some messages from the union that would show openness on work organization and then we’d go back to the table,” Varin said.
But Carr said that proposal is flawed because it puts employee seniority in jeopardy and requires them to work extra hours with no extra pay.
He said the union will meet with their negotiating team in the next few days to plan their next move.
According to a company statement, Acadian Coach Lines has lost $7 million in eight years.
It locked out 59 drivers, maintenance workers and customer agents on Dec. 2. The lockout affects bus services in New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.
Local 1229 of the Amalgamated Transit Union asked the company to agree to binding arbitration earlier this week.
Comments