Police investigate city’s 7th stabbing in a week

Police investigate a stabbing in Osborne Village after being called to a popular pub in Winnipeg on Friday. Gage Fletcher, Global News

WINNIPEG – Police have had a busy week investigating a string of stabbings in Winnipeg.

The latest happened in the 100 block of Osborne Street at 1 a.m. Friday.

A man was taken in unstable condition to the Health Sciences Centre, where he is recovering from stab wounds to the upper body.

Officers arrested a suspect at the scene.

Police could not confirm whether the two had been inside the popular Toad in the Hole pub prior to the stabbing, but said that is the location they were called to.

This is the seventh stabbing in a week in Winnipeg, including two double stabbings and a triple stabbing.

UPDATE: Arrests made in 4 stabbings, including Canada Day killing near Forks

Story continues below advertisement

On June 27, officers were called to the area of Kennedy Street and Sargent Avenue around 2:20 a.m.

Women aged 25, 30 and 31 suffered injuries and the 25-year-old was initially taken to hospital in critical condition but was eventually upgraded to stable.

Two more stabbings happened around 5 a.m. Thursday in the 300 block of Carlton Street inside an apartment.

Officers found a man and a woman with stab wounds to the upper body. The woman was rushed to hospital in critical condition and the man was conveyed in unstable condition. A woman was arrested the same morning in connection with those stabbings.

The most dire of the seven stabbings, which had two victims, is a homicide investigation after a man was killed on Canada Day steps away from The Forks, where thousands were out celebrating.

The double stabbing happened around 10:15 p.m. near the corner of Main Street and Broadway by the Union Station entrance at The Forks.

Thousands of Winnipeggers were at the popular tourist destination getting ready to take in the Canada Day fireworks display.

Officers reported seeing the altercation escalate but were unable to make it through traffic before the stabbing happened.

Both male victims were taken to hospital in critical condition and one later died.

Story continues below advertisement

No arrests have been made.

Sponsored content