The former Canadian general was detained by Kabul police earlier this month on gun smuggling charges. Menard is now the managing director for security firm GardaWorld in the country.
Get daily National news
A spokesperson for GardaWorld told Global News that it has obtained documents ordering his release from prison, but that these documents will need signatures from a number of officials before Menard will be released.
Thursday and Friday are considered weekend days in Afghanistan, slowing the process of official approval.
The company would not offer details on whether Menard would return to Canada upon his release.
“Foreign Affairs officials have been in contact with the subject, and are providing him with consular assistance,” said Jean Bruno-Villeneuve, Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs spokesperson.
- Frank Hayden, Canadian researcher who helped spearhead Special Olympics, dies at 96
- Parts of Ontario set for ‘first heat event of the season’: Environment Canada
- Vehicle crashes into Toronto fireworks store, causes 4-alarm fire
- Canadian Shai Gilgeous-Alexander becomes 14th player to win back-to-back NBA MVPs
“To protect the privacy of the individual concerned, further details cannot be released at this time.”
Menard resigned from the army and pleaded guilty in 2011 before a military court martial to having intimate relations while leading Canada’s mission in Afghanistan in 2010.
Menard then urged his female subordinate to cover up the affair and was punished with a $7,000 fine and a symbolic demotion to the rank of colonel.
In November 2011, Menard was hired by Garda World—a global risk management and security services company.
Comments
Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.