Video: Cory Sater has been found guilty of impaired driving causing death. Reporter Jill Bennett caught up with him after the verdict.
Cory Sater has been found guilty of impaired driving causing death and dangerous driving causing death in the deaths of Lorraine Cruz and Charlene Reaveley.
Sater plead guilty to the charge of failing to stop at the scene of an accident.
Sentencing date is set for March 31, 2014.
Cory Sater is in court today to hear the verdict in a deadly hit-and-run case.
He was charged with ten offences in total, after two women, Lorraine Cruz and Charlene Reaveley, died in Coquitlam in 2011.
The Crown alleges that Sater’s vehicle careened into them, while they were standing on the side of the Lougheed Highway trying to help a motorist who had been in a collision.
In the Crown’s closing arugments, it alleged Sater drove after a night of drinking at a local bar.
The Crown alleges that Sater had 14 ounces of liquor in about three hours on the night of the crash.
It is alleged bar staff had to cut Sater off and he was visibly impaired.
Sater has already pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of the accident, but says he is not guilty of dangerous or impaired driving causing death.
A witness in court today said Sater had run a red light before the accident.
The judge says there is proof beyond a reasonable doubt that he was drinking that night, in the form of surveillance video from the bar and the bar bill that Sater paid for.
Sater drank six double rye and cokes and two Jagerbombs.
Two servers tesifiied they cut him off that night because he was drinking too much.
The judge does not believe that crash was unavoidable, and thinks there was enough space to slow down or move over.
Charlene Reaveley’s mother, Mary Oglivie, says she hopes Sater gets 25 years — or more.
“You don’t want to be in my shoes, this has got to stop, people are drinking and driving? I want him to get 25 years or more but it isn’t going to happen.”
Sater will be sentenced on March 31, 2014.
— with files from Grace Ke