Security guards from 2015 Pemberton Music Festival owed thousands
It’s considered one of the biggest parties of the summer, but a group of security guards won’t be celebrating.
By the time the 2016 Pemberton Music Festival concludes on Sunday, organizers believe over $200 million will have been injected into the local economy over a three-year period.
Not everyone is feeling the economic benefits, however. A number of security guards say they are still owed money for working at last year’s Pemberton festival.
“It’s just too much stress to leave your life behind for a week or two weeks to make sure this festival is secure and run properly and then not get paid,” one of them told Global News.
The security guards went through the regulatory process and contacted The Employment Standards Branch. It determined that 13 people had not been paid a combined $38,914.95 for their work.
They ruled Jonathan David Brainerd, who was then the director and officer of Essential Protective Services Corporation, is required to personally pay the unpaid wages plus interest for each employee.
In a statement festival promoter HUKA Entertainment said they had not hired the same security company this year.
“We have paid all of our 2015 vendors for services provided in full and, in fact, all active suppliers and supervisors entered a bidding process to work with us again this year,” they said in a statement.
Global News attempted tracking down Jonathan David Brainerd and Essential Protective Services at the address listed on the company’s website in downtown Vancouver.
A listed number for Brainerd was also out of service.
The Employment Standards Branch says it’s taken all actions to collect from the employer, including obtaining a B.C. Supreme Court order and sending in the court bailiff for collection.
However, there are no assets to be seized.