January 4, 2016 10:21 am
Updated: January 4, 2016 10:40 pm

Youth accused in Edmonton Mac’s murders makes brief court appearance

WATCH ABOVE: A 13-year old charged with first degree murder in connection with the Mac's convenience store murders appeared in court today. Tom Vernon reports.

A A

EDMONTON — One of the three people accused in the murders of two Edmonton convenience store employees was back in court Monday morning.

The 13-year-old youth, who cannot be identified, is charged in connection with the shootings that killed two Mac’s convenience store workers in the early morning hours of Dec. 18, 2015.

The teen did not enter a plea Monday and is expected back in court on Feb. 1.

Story continues below
Global News

The 13-year-old made his first court appearance three days after the deadly shootings. During the short hearing he was seen looking at his family, swaying back and forth and crying as the charges against him were read.

If convicted of first-degree murder, he would face a maximum 10-year sentence under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, only six of which would be served in custody.

The two other accused are Colton Steinhauer, 27, and Laylin Delorme, 24. Their first appearance last month was adjourned until Jan. 11. Both of the accused need to look for lawyers.

All three people are facing a long list of charges, including two counts each of first-degree murder. Steinhauer and Delorne both have long criminal histories.

macs-shooting-graphic-dec-18-15

The armed robberies took place on a Friday morning in south Edmonton.

READ MORE: Edmontonians pay respects to murdered Mac’s store employees

The first happened in Mill Woods at around 3:30 a.m. Police said 35-year-old Karanpal Singh Bhang was shot at a Mac’s store near 32 Avenue and 82 Street. When officers arrived, they found the injured clerk and began CPR while EMS was en route. He was taken to hospital where he died from a gunshot wound to the stomach.

The call on the second shooting came into police just minutes later.

“While that first incident was being investigated, another call came in at 3:42 a.m. from a different Mac’s store,” Edmonton Police Chief Rod Knecht said during a December news conference .

Another clerk, 41-year-old Ricky Massin Cenabre, had been shot to death at a convenience store at 108 Street and 61 Avenue in the Pleasantview area.

READ MORE: Second victim in Mac’s store robbery and shooting spree identified

“A delivery man had entered the store and noticed a trail of blood into a back storage room,” Knecht said.

Cenabre was found bleeding on the floor, and pronounced dead at the scene.

Knecht said after looking at surveillance video, it appeared that neither of the victims resisted during the alleged armed robberies.

RAW VIDEO: Edmonton Police Chief Rod Knecht speaks about ‘barbaric and gratuitous’ acts of violence at Mac’s convenience stores

Information about the suspects in the robberies was immediately fanned out to all patrol officers to be on the lookout. Officers were directed to check on other Mac’s stores if possible.

The three masked suspects were spotted in west Edmonton’s Callingwood area around 5 a.m., and a pursuit began. They were arrested when their vehicle crashed on Whitemud Drive under the Terwillegar Drive overpass.

In addition to the murder charges, all three suspects are charged with robbery with a prohibited restricted firearm and being disguised with intent.

With files from Slav Kornik and Emily Mertz, Global News

© 2016 Shaw Media

Report an error
Global News