SAINT-JEROME, Que. – A former Quebec doctor charged in the stabbing deaths of his two young children in 2009 said that he should get bail while awaiting trial.
Guy Turcotte testified on his own behalf on Thursday and said he’s asking for bail because it is his right.
A jury found Turcotte not criminally responsible in 2011 and he was released from a psychiatric institution in December 2012.
The Quebec Court of Appeal overturned the verdict last November and ordered a new trial, leading to his re-arrest.
Turcotte admitted he suffered from depression following his arrest last year.
He told the court that his state has improved with the help of medication and his doctors.
Turcotte said he wanted to work as a caregiver to his ageing aunt and uncle while awaiting his trial in September 2015.
© The Canadian Press, 2014