WATCH: Eric Sorensen takes a closer look at where police focused their manhunt in Moncton for suspect Justin Bourque.
TORONTO – A manhunt has ended in first-degree and attempted murder charges for 24-year-old suspect Justin Bourque; photographed dressed in camouflage, carrying guns and wielding a knife in a photo taken on what RCMP call the “darkest day in the history of the RCMP in New Brunswick.”
Here’s a look at the unfolding of the Moncton shooting that killed three RCMP officers and left two others wounded. All estimates are in local time (AT) and Global News is only publishing locations that have been previously shared by the RCMP.
Wednesday June 4, 7:30 p.m. – Const. Damien Theriault said police first responded to reports of gunshots in a subdivision in the north end of Moncton.
Residents in the Ryan Road and Hildegard Drive area reported hearing up to 10 gunshots, and were told to stay in their homes.
This area was where Theriault first said the search was concentrated.
One woman in the neighbourhood said she heard a first round of gunshots, and a second round 20 minutes later. She said there was a third round of shots around 10 p.m., according to the National Post.
8:22 p.m. – Moncton resident Vanessa Bernatchez posted a video taken inside her home that appears to show her witnessing a police officer being shot just outside the window. WARNING: This video may disturb some viewers.
The local newspaper The Moncton Times & Transcript said the shootings took place in at least three separate locations, as their staff saw at least three police cars with bullet holes and broken windows. A large pool of blood and guns were also seen near one of the cars, said the paper.
The Times & Transcript spoke with Deputy Chief Don McCabe of the Moncton Fire Department who said firefighters performed 2.5 hours of CPR on a wounded RCMP officer after a call to 19 Bromfield Ct. He told the paper firefighter protocol says they must continue lifesaving efforts until someone can officially declare death.
The paper said another officer was believed to have been shot near Isington St. and Mailhot; and the third on Penrose. They quoted a local man who said he saw police drag a body away from a police car around 8 p.m.
8:30 p.m. – Horizon Health Network CEO John McGarry said the hospital went into Code Orange at about 8:30 p.m. and the facility was put on lockdown. The Horizon Health Network Twitter feed said two patients were taken to the Moncton Hospital with gunshot wounds. Code Orange means mass casualties expected, and it was lifted at about 1:30 a.m.
10:12 p.m. – RCMP tweeted that people in certain areas should stay indoors: First in the Hildegard/Ryan Road area to remain inside “due to an ongoing shooting in the area,” then Trinity/Plaza Blvd. area, then expanded to Moncton Coliseum, Worthington Ave., Preston Cres. Elmhurst Dr., saying there’s a “shooter in woods near Pinehurst.”
11:04 p.m. – New Brunswick Premier David Alward issued a statement, saying he was “shocked and saddened to learn of tonight’s tragic situation in Moncton.”
11:17 p.m. – RCMP announced the suspect is Justin Bourque of Moncton, a man in his 20s, who is believed to be armed and dangerous. Police later said Bourque was not known to police. They tweeted a photo of the suspect wearing camouflage and carrying weapons that’s credited to the Times & Transcript.
Thursday June 5, 12:30 a.m. – Police confirm the death of three Codiac RCMP officers at a press conference.
“Around 7:30 p.m., while responding to a call of an armed man in the north end of the City of Moncton, three of Codiac RCMP’s officers were shot and killed,” said Const. Damien Theriault. “Two other officers were also injured but their lives are not threatened at this time.”
1 a.m. – The manhunt continued in the north end of Moncton, and RCMP tweet that the suspect was believed to still be in the Pinehurst area. They urged residents to stay locked inside but keep their outdoor lights on.
6:40 a.m. onwards – RCMP continued to tweet for people in the marked area to stay inside and lock their doors.
Just before 8 a.m. – The suspect was spotted in vicinity of Mountain Road and Gorge Road. Roadblocks remained in place, schools were closed, and buses had been pulled off roads due to the manhunt.
11 a.m. – RCMP held a press conference, saying they still did not know exactly where the suspect was, and urged people not to post location information to social media that could harm police operations.
Just after 3 p.m. – More than a dozen heavily armed police officers surrounded an apartment complex, sent a robot inside, and entered the building. Minutes later they removed the robot and exited without any sign of a suspect.
Friday, June 6 12:10 a.m. – RCMP New Brunswick confirms suspect Justin Bourque has been taken into police custody. Police say residents of north Moncton can now leave their homes.
8 a.m. – At a morning news conference, police announce formal charges will likely come today against Bourque.
RCMP also officially identified the three constables slain Wednesday evening. They are: 32-year-old Dave Ross, 45-year-old Fabrice Gevaudan and 40-year-old Douglas Larche.
5 p.m. – Justin Bourque appeared in provincial court in Moncton, and was charged with three counts of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder. Bourque was remanded into custody and is set to appear back in court July 3.
© Shaw Media, 2014