Watch above: the first witness took the stand at the first-degree murder trial of Douglas Hales
SASKATOON – The first-degree murder trial of Douglas Hales, accused of killing Daleen Bosse almost ten years ago, got underway in Saskatoon on Monday.
Hales pleaded not guilty to the murder charge and offering an indignity to human remains.
The first person to take the stand was a former doorman at Jax Nite Club, the last place Bosse was seen on the night on May 18, 2004.
Shawn Pauliuk testified he saw Bosse in the company of Hales, who also worked at the club, that evening and recognized her on a missing person’s poster a few weeks later.
Hales told Pauliuk when questioned about Bosse, “Oh yeah but I took her home that night.”
During cross examination, Hales’ lawyer painted Pauliuk as a “career con man” and rattled off a lengthy wrap sheet of fraud offenses including fraud over $5,000.
The trial started off with a publication ban application from Bosse’s family.
“They wanted there to be an order so that most of the details of the trial would not be released by the media,” said Sean Sinclair, the lawyer representing several media outlets.
“The application was heard by Justice Allbright and the application by the victim’s family was dismissed.”
In making his ruling, the judge determined the media was entitled to publish most of the details of the trial, saying justice must not only be done, but seen to be done.
Hales is accused of killing Bosse, a 25-year-old married mother of one, who was close to completing a teaching degree at the University of Saskatchewan.
Her body was found in August 2008 in a wooded area north of Saskatoon.
Hales was arrested and charged with her murder shortly afterwards. He has remained in custody since then.
The trial has been delayed several times due to legal representation issues after Hales dismissed a string of lawyers.
One month has been set aside for the trial.