Investigation underway in Saskatoon police fatal shooting

Click to play video: 'Saskatoon police involved in fatal shooting'
Saskatoon police involved in fatal shooting
Saskatchewan's Serious Incident Response Team and the Regina Police Service are investigating an officer involved shooting that occurred in Saskatoon. The incident occurred in a residence on the 1300 block of Avenue E on Thursday night when officers entered a multi-unit residence and were confronted by an armed man. "Twenty to 30 cops showed up all with guns drawn, then I heard three shots and each sounded different," a resident in the area said. Saskatoon police have also requested two independent observers participate in the investigation – Oct 28, 2022

The Regina Police Service and Saskatchewan Serious Incident Response Team have been called in to investigate a fatal shooting that involved a Saskatoon police officer.

Officers were called to the 1300 block of Avenue E North on Thursday night after receiving reports of shots being fired.

Police said they entered a multi-unit residence and were confronted by an armed man when the fatal shooting occurred.

The Saskatoon Police Service has also requested two independent observers for the investigation.

One resident in the area said he was home when the incident happened, adding he saw multiple police vehicles pull up.

“I heard banging on the door, first of all. I heard three big bangs, and that was probably them knocking on the door,” the man said.

Story continues below advertisement

He said there were probably 20 or 30 cops, all with their guns drawn.

“I heard three shots, and another three that sounded different.”

The resident noted that it wasn’t long before the ambulance got there and took a guy off on a stretcher.

Chief of the Saskatoon Police Service, Troy Cooper put out a statement on the incident.

“Late yesterday afternoon members of our Guns and Gangs Unit became aware that a 36-year-old male who was wanted by La Loche RCMP was in the 1300 block of Avenue E North and was armed with a gun. The male was in breach of release conditions and had removed his electronic monitoring device,” Cooper said.

“Officers reported the male pointed his firearm at them both inside and outside the multi-unit residence. Members of the Tactical Support Unit made entry into the home in an attempt to ensure the safety of the other occupants in the building. As we have previously released, it was at that time they were confronted by the suspect and the fatal shooting occurred.”

“We are extremely fortunate that our officers and the bystanders were not physically harmed. This is an example of the unpredictable and dangerous situations our officers face far too often. They must rely on their extensive training and professionalism to make split-second decisions. Mental health supports are in place within our organization to assist. RCMP Victims Services support has been offered to the family of the deceased.”

Story continues below advertisement

Cooper ended by saying that further information will be given by the Regina Police Service.

Sponsored content