Editor’s note: This story has been updated following new information from the Saskatoon Fire Department and The Lighthouse.
A fire caused by the improper disposal of smoking material has caused $10,000 in damage at the Lighthouse Supported Living building in downtown Saskatoon.
The Saskatoon Fire Department initially said the fire had caused $150,000 in damage but a press release later clarified that after a more thorough evaluation, damage to the suite at the Lighthouse is estimated to be closer to $40,000. The Lighthouse later told Global News the damage was less than $10,000.
The Saskatoon Fire Department said it was alerted to the fire at 3:19 a.m. Friday.
Crews arrived to find the occupants of the third floor evacuating the building and the sprinkler system activated.
A fire was located in a suite on the floor. The SFD said there was heavy smoke, but low heat from the fire, and firefighters quickly put it out.
No injuries were reported.
Fire damage was contained to the suite, however water draining from the suite is affecting approximately 15 other suites, the fire department said.
The water predominately damaged ceiling tiles.
The fire department said in the updated release that no residents will be displaced by the fire or water damage.
The Lighthouse will accommodate the occupant of the damaged suite and cleanup is currently underway.
It’s expected the suite will be ready for occupancy early next week.
Fire department officials said they will work with the Ministry of Social Services if rehousing is needed for any occupants.
— with a file from Kelly Skjerven