Advertisement

One person dead in morning Pleasant Hill apartment fire: Saskatoon Fire Department

Click to play video: 'One person dead in morning Pleasant Hill apartment fire: Saskatoon Fire Department' One person dead in morning Pleasant Hill apartment fire: Saskatoon Fire Department
The Saskatoon fire department says a fire at an apartment building at 202 Avenue P South, resulting in the death of one person, was caused by improper disposal of smoking material – Oct 25, 2021

The Saskatoon fire department says a fire at an apartment building at 202 Avenue P South, resulting in the death of one person, was caused by improper disposal of smoking material.

Read more: Deck fire at Montgomery Place caused by propane heater: Saskatoon fire

Fire officials say flames were showing from the third-floor suite when they arrived around 2:30 a.m. Monday.

Crews immediately started to extinguish the fire both outside through the balcony and inside to contain it to one suite.

Three people were rescued from the fire but one of the three was confirmed dead by firefighter paramedics.

Three people were rescued from an early morning fire at this apartment building in Pleasant Hill. Saskatoon fire officials say only two of the three people survived the fire. Gabriela Panza-Beltrandi/Global News

The fire was contained to the one suite and was under control by 3 a.m.

Story continues below advertisement

A fire investigator has determined the fire originated in the living room of the suite.

Read more: Saskatoon father and son recognized by fire department for ‘heroic efforts’

A smoke alarm was also missing from the suite and that likely contributed to the death, according to the fire department.

Global News was given a copy of a recent inspection of the unit by the building’s caretaker. It shows the unit had a working smoke alarm as of Sept. 2.

“The assumption is the occupants removed the smoke alarm,” said assistant fire chief Yvonne Raymer.

She said the fire department’s portion of the investigation is finished. No charges have been laid.

A property manager told Global News the last fire safety inspection of the entire building was done on Sept. 1.

“This was a tragic accident and in reviewing our fire inspection history, this was actually a well-maintained building,” Raymer said.

Damage is estimated at $50,000.

Eleven people have been rehoused, while three are still living in the building.

— with files from Gabriela Panza-Beltrandi

Advertisement

Sponsored content