Ontario drivers have had their warning and now must abide by new rules that restrict the use of cellphones and other portable electronics while driving.
The new rules, which come into effect Monday, make it illegal for drivers to talk, dial, text or e-mail on personal hand-held devices, but the ban also applies to other electronics, such as iPods and GPS systems that aren’t attached to the vehicle’s interior.
"Drivers cannot talk, text or dial using a hand-held device under the law starting today. This change will make Ontario’s roads safer," said Transportation Minister Jim Bradley.
Although there is a three-month grace period applied to the new rules, with lenience granted to offenders until Feb. 1, those caught breaking the law after that date will receive a penalty of up to $500.
At an Ottawa gas station Sunday night, all of the drivers interviewed thought the law was a good idea.
Shaharyar Jami, a 50-year-old naval lieutenant, said he generally doesn’t talk on his cellphone while driving.
"But if I do talk, I’m stupid and I shouldn’t be doing it," he said.
Rick Swan, 61, works in sales. He spends a lot of time in the car and he does find it tempting to talk or check messages while driving. Yet, he said the truth is that in most cases it’s easy enough to wait or pull over.
The new law, while a bit inconvenient, he said, might just save him from himself.
"Absolutely," he said. "Half the time I’m checking messages and I shouldn’t be."
Licence demerit points will not be issued to offenders.
"Distracted drivers, including those using hand held devices, are a serious threat to public safety on our highways," said Ontario Provincial Police Commissioner Julian Fantino. "This new legislation will provide the Ontario Provincial Police with another tool to save lives and prevent injuries."
Ontario becomes the fourth Canadian province to introduce similar rules. Newfoundland and Labrador was first out of the gate in 2002, when that province banned talking on hand-held phones while driving. Quebec and Nova Scotia followed suit last year.
Similar legislation is being considered in Manitoba and Saskatchewan.
The Ontario law was passed in April, but was not immediately enacted to give time to finalize some exemptions to the rule.
Police, paramedics and firefighters will be allowed to use hand-held devices while performing their respective duties.
In an emergency, all Ontario drivers will be permitted to use phones while driving to call 911.
Two-way radios are not currently involved in the ban, but the province’s Transport Ministry said that radios used by those in the transport industry, including taxis and school buses, will be phased out within three years.
Data released this month showed 5,800 people were killed and 515,000 others injured in car crashes caused by distracted driving in the United States last year. Canadian numbers were not available.
With a file from the Ottawa Citizen
Comments
Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.