Calgary crews battle early morning house fire in the northwest

Click to play video: 'Calgary crews battle early morning house fire in the northwest' Calgary crews battle early morning house fire in the northwest
Two people are safe after a northwest Calgary house fire Saturday morning. According to the fire department, it was neighbours who noticed the flames and ran over to alert the residents. Jackie Wilson reports – Mar 13, 2021

First responders had a busy morning Saturday as they battled a house fire in northwest Calgary.

Calgary Fire Department said crews were called to 20 Avenue and 4 Street N.W. for a two-storey home that was fully engulfed with flames and smoke.

The fire broke out at around 5 a.m.

Officials said everyone made it out safely, thanks to the people next door who saw the flames, called 911 and ran over to bang on their neighbour’s door.

“Fire investigators were on scene almost immediately once the fire was knocked down. They believe it started at the back of the house,” said CFD Central District Chief Innes Fraser.

“At this point, I’d like to remind people to properly dispose of their smoking materials as that may have been the cause.”

Story continues below advertisement

Innes told Global News two pet guinea pigs died in the fire and a second home was exposed and damaged as well.

“Crews focused on the extinguishment of the fire and the protection of the exposed homes. At the time of this report, active salvage and overhaul work is being done on both the source home and one exposed home to ensure the fire is extinguished,” read a statement from the fire department.

Read more: 250 residents forced from Calgary apartment building due to car fire in parkade

Calgary police were on scene helping to close the road on 20 Avenue N.W.

Firefighters battle a fire in the northwest early Saturday morning. Global News

ENMAX was called out to help with a downed power line in the back of the home while ATCO focused on control and the flow of utilities.

Story continues below advertisement

The fire remains under investigation and anyone with information, photos or video is asked to email

Sponsored content