Advertisement

Vancouver firefighters tackle rooftop blaze in Yaletown

Vancouver firefighters managed to quickly snuff out a rooftop fire attributed to a faulty HVAC system in Yaletown Sunday night.
Vancouver firefighters managed to quickly snuff out a rooftop fire attributed to a faulty HVAC system in Yaletown Sunday night. Global News

A faulty HVAC system is being blamed for a rooftop fire at a Yaletown commercial building Sunday night.

Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services got a number of calls from local high-rise residents at about 8:30 p.m. concerning a fire on the rooftop of a building on the corner of Homer and Helmcken streets.

A Vancouver firefighter inspects the rooftop of a Yaletown commercial building that caught fire due to a faulty HVAC system Sunday evening.
A Vancouver firefighter inspects the rooftop of a Yaletown commercial building that caught fire due to a faulty HVAC system Sunday evening. Global News

Assistant Chief Brian Bertuzzi tells Global News 32 firefighters were dispatched to the 1100 block of Hamilton Street, where flames could be seen coming from the roof of the three-storey structure.

Story continues below advertisement

Read more: Vancouver firefighters battle two residential building blazes

Bertuzzi says crews quickly snuffed out the flames by around 9 p.m.

Investigators have determined that the fire originated in the structure’s HVAC air duct system.

“It’s not uncommon, but we haven’t seen one for a while,” said Bertuzzi. “It was being fed by natural gas, and we still had power on to it, so it caused a few problems for the crews.”

Bertuzzi says the fire was contained to the roof, and extinguished by about 9 p.m., though crews did remain on the scene to make sure the fire didn’t chase through the ducting system.

Story continues below advertisement
Vancouver firefighters remained on the scene of a rooftop fire in Yaletown to extinguish any remaining hotspots Sunday evening.
Vancouver firefighters remained on the scene of a rooftop fire in Yaletown to extinguish any remaining hotspots Sunday evening. Global News

No one was inside the building’s top floors at the time of the fire, but a restaurant on the main floor was evacuated.

Read more: Huge fire likely ‘completely destroyed’ section of New Westminster’s Pier Park: mayor

There were no injuries. The extent of damage and cause of the fire is not known.

WATCH: Officials with Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services discuss the dangers of carbon monoxide

Click to play video 'Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips' Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips
Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips – Jan 20, 2019