Advertisement

Fire crews find source of billowing smoke at West Georgia commercial building

Vancouver fire crews had to make their way carefully through thick smoke to determine the source somewhere in the lower level of a seven storey commercial building in Coal Harbour Sunday evening.
Vancouver fire crews had to make their way carefully through thick smoke to determine the source somewhere in the lower level of a seven storey commercial building in Coal Harbour Sunday evening. @RonWilsonVan

Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services say a massive amount of smoke pouring from the basement of a Coal Harbour commercial building was caused by leaking oil from an electrical room generator that mixed with refrigerant.

VFRS got the call at about 8:40 p.m., with reports of smoke billowing from the seven storey structure at 1475 West Georgia Street.

Fire personnel located and escorted four people, including security staff, to safety.

Assistant Chief of Operations Brian Bertuzzi tells Global News that crews had great difficulty locating the source of the smoke due to near zero visibility and very poor ventilation.

The fire had West Georgia closed between Nicola and Bute Streets, in both directions, for a period of time.

No word yet on the extent of damage due to the smoke.

Story continues below advertisement