Ottawa Fire Services (OFS) say staff at Amazon’s distribution facility on Boundary Road were asked to vacate the warehouse early Monday morning amid concerns over a carbon monoxide “incident.”
Staff at the Amazon warehouse called emergency dispatches shortly before 3:30 a.m. on Monday to flag that carbon monoxide detectors on-site had been activated, according to the OFS.
The 80 people working at the time were advised to exit the building and wait outside.
When firefighters arrived on scene at 3:49 a.m., they confirmed higher levels of carbon monoxide in areas of the building. OFS said that due to the “size and complexity” of the one-million-square-foot building, a hazmat team was called in to aid the investigation with specialized equipment.
In the meantime, OFS said fuel-burning appliances have been shut down and the building operator has called in technicians to resolve the issue before employees will be allowed back to work.
Amazon’s local warehouse, which came online in 2019, has capacity for 600 employees.