Advertisement

Canadian troops may be called to testify in court cases against long-term care homes

Click to play video 'Who will be held accountable for crisis in long-term care homes?' Who will be held accountable for crisis in long-term care homes?
WATCH: Who will be held accountable for crisis in long-term care homes? – May 27, 2020

Members of the Canadian Armed Forces working inside long-term care homes could find themselves testifying about the state of those facilities in relation to lawsuits against the institutions.

The unusual scenario follows the deployment of hundreds of service members in April and May to more than two-dozen nursing homes in Ontario and Quebec hit hard by COVID-19.

Damning military reports later said the troops found cases of abuse and negligence in the homes, including bug infestations, aggressive feeding of residents that caused choking, bleeding infections and residents left crying for help for hours.

READ MORE: Long-term care facilities are the only option for many. What happens when they fall short?

Stephen Birman and Lucy Jackson of Toronto law firm Thomson Rogers are leading a proposed $20-million class-action lawsuit brought against the Altamonte Care Community on behalf of the Toronto home’s residents and their families.

Story continues below advertisement

The lawsuit against Altamonte and its parent company, Sienna Senior Living Inc., alleges negligence and breach of duty over a lack of proper protocols and training as well as severe understaffing and a lack of proper equipment before and during the pandemic.

Click to play video 'Testing long-term care staff, seniors need to continue to prepare for next COVID-19 wave: Donna Duncan' Testing long-term care staff, seniors need to continue to prepare for next COVID-19 wave: Donna Duncan
Testing long-term care staff, seniors need to continue to prepare for next COVID-19 wave: Donna Duncan – Jun 7, 2020

It is one of several court actions brought against long-term care facilities since COVID-19 first hit in earnest in March, ravaging many homes across the country. Nursing home residents and staff account for the vast majority of COVID-19 deaths in Canada.

Birman and Jackson say the troops’ firsthand observations could be critical in proving their clients’ claims against the home, particularly as lockdowns imposed since March have made it difficult to impossible for residents’ families to get into the facility.

“The military is in a position to provide very helpful evidence,” Birman told The Canadian Press.

Story continues below advertisement

READ MORE: Military teams raise concerns about conditions at Ontario care homes

“They came in as a third party, as an objective observer, and they saw and identified a horrendous and shocking situation that may never have come to the forefront to the extent that it has if not for their involvement.”

The military report on Altamonte includes allegations most residents did not get receive their medication or proper meals and many had been left in bed for long periods without being moved or washed. There were also concerns about staff shortages and training.

Click to play video 'Coronavirus outbreak: Protestors want commitment on status for asylum seekers working Quebec COVID-19 frontlines' Coronavirus outbreak: Protestors want commitment on status for asylum seekers working Quebec COVID-19 frontlines
Coronavirus outbreak: Protestors want commitment on status for asylum seekers working Quebec COVID-19 frontlines – Jun 6, 2020

Similar observations were made about the other four Ontario facilities, including bug infestations, aggressive feeding of residents and residents being left crying for hours The Quebec report was less critical, but did raise concerns about staff shortages.

Story continues below advertisement

None of the allegations in the reports or the proposed lawsuit, which was filed on June 1, have been proven in court.

Birman and Jackson are now collecting information to bolster their case for getting the lawsuit certified as a class action, which involves talking to as many residents, family members, staff as well as military personnel as possible.

READ MORE: Canada’s nursing homes worry coronavirus outbreak will mean residents ‘dying alone’

Military spokeswoman Lt. Stephany Lura said military personnel had the same obligation to report to their commanders whatever observations they had while working in the long-term care facilities, as they would with any other mission.

“Like any other Canadian, CAF members may be called upon as witnesses,” she added. “This situation is no different. Our members will receive all necessary support from the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces should it be needed.”

Click to play video 'Coronavirus outbreak: Ontario long-term care operator executive allegedly recorded making inappropriate comments' Coronavirus outbreak: Ontario long-term care operator executive allegedly recorded making inappropriate comments
Coronavirus outbreak: Ontario long-term care operator executive allegedly recorded making inappropriate comments – Jun 4, 2020

While inviting service members to reach out to them, Birman and Jackson suggested service members could also be compelled to provide eyewitness accounts and other information through affidavits and other procedures.

Story continues below advertisement

“I would think everybody who’s involved in this important matter would want to hear from the military when this matter makes its way to the courts,” Birman said. “We will do everything we can to gather their evidence so it forms part of the record in this case.”

READ MORE: Coronavirus: Ontario long-term care head warns of ‘real urgency’ ahead of 2nd wave

The military had more than 1,000 service members in 15 long-term care facilities in Quebec and almost 500 in five homes in Ontario last week.

While officials confirmed Sunday that operations at one of those Ontario homes, Orchard Villa in Pickering, had ended, the military appeared poised to deploy into another home in the city of Vaughan, north of Toronto.

“We can confirm that CAF is onsite at Woodbridge Vista today to do an onsite assessment,” said Gillian Sloggett, spokeswoman for Ontario Minister of Long-term Care Merrilee Fullerton.

“We are grateful for CAF’s continued support and we will have more news to share about next steps in the coming days.”

Talks around the continued provision of service members to long-term care facilities in Quebec until September are underway between Ottawa and the provincial government.

–With files from Allison Jones and Salmaan Farooqui in Toronto.

Story continues below advertisement