The university would not divulge if the person who caught the novel coronavirus was a student or a staff member, nor would they comment on whether the person was recently at the university.
“Privacy prevents us from sharing personal details of the individual in question, but KFL&A Public Health is aware and involved with the case,” Deane said.
But Dr. Kieran Moore, medical officer for health for KFL&A Public Health, confirmed the infected individual was a student.
Moore said the student is currently at home self-isolating.
Moore said he believes the student caught the disease in the community.
“Well, we know that they had a positive contact in the community and that it was not another student. It was through a community contact, and the investigation is ongoing.”
Deane said KFL&A Public Health is following up with the student’s close-contacts, and that the university had reached out to offer their support.
The university, along with St. Lawrence College, cancelled classes over the March break week in order to give teachers and students time to prepare to finish their semesters online.
On March 16, the university advised all students who could leave the campus do so. They also advised faculty to stay home.
Nevertheless, Queen’s did not order their students to leave residences.
“We are not, however, requiring people to leave,” Deane said in a statement released mid-March. “We understand not everyone has that option and we will continue to strive to keep required services in order to support those that must remain.”
Only essential staff are supposed to be on campus until April 5.
Queen’s list of essential employees are as follows:
- Housing and residence operations and food services supporting residences
- Operations related to health care delivery or the delivery of services in the Faculty of Health Sciences
- Veterinary care
- The central heating plant
- Required building support, including custodial and maintenance services
- Campus security and emergency services
- Postal services
- Key ITS and communication infrastructure
- Certain research labs, including products and services that support research activities
- Key services, such as payroll, pension and finance, that may require individuals to attend campus
- Construction projects and services