Advertisement

Coronavirus: Here’s a timeline of COVID-19 cases in Canada

2 new cases of COVID-19 reported in Ontario
WATCH ABOVE: 2 new cases of COVID-19 reported in Ontario

Public health officials say 33 confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus have been diagnosed in Canada so far, with 20 cases reported in Ontario, 12 in British Columbia and one in Quebec.

Here is a timeline of cases in this country.

Jan. 25, 2020: A man in his 50s who arrived in Toronto from Wuhan, China, the epicentre of the outbreak, becomes the first “presumptive” case of the new coronavirus in Canada. The man called 911 as soon as he got sick with relatively minor symptoms and was placed in isolation in Toronto’s Sunnybrook Hospital.

READ MORE: Coronavirus: Canadian transit providers plan safeguards against COVID-19 outbreak

Jan. 26, 2020: The wife of the Toronto man who was Canada’s first “presumptive” case of the new coronavirus becomes the second presumptive case. The woman is kept in home isolation.

Story continues below advertisement

Jan. 27, 2020: The National Microbiology Lab in Winnipeg confirms that a man in quarantine in Sunnybrook Hospital is Canada’s first documented case of the new coronavirus.

Jan. 28, 2020: Health authorities confirm Canada’s second case of the novel coronavirus. The woman had recently travelled to Wuhan with her husband, who was the first case confirmed in Canada.

TTC, GO Transit roll out cleaning measures to prevent spread of COVID-19
TTC, GO Transit roll out cleaning measures to prevent spread of COVID-19

Jan. 28, 2020: Health officials in British Columbia say a man in his 40s is presumed to have the new coronavirus and is doing well as he recovers at his Vancouver home. B.C.’s health officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry, says the man often works in China and voluntarily isolated himself upon returning to Canada.

Jan. 28, 2020: The presumed case of the new strain of coronavirus in B.C. is confirmed by the National Microbiology Laboratory in Winnipeg.

Story continues below advertisement

Jan. 31, 2020: Toronto man hospitalized with the novel coronavirus is well enough to go home. Sunnybrook Hospital says he’ll continue to recover at home, where his wife is also in self-isolation.

READ MORE: Coronavirus: Do Canadians really need to stockpile household items?

Jan. 31, 2020: Ontario’s third case of the new coronavirus is confirmed. The patient, a woman in her 20s, had travelled to the affected area in China. The London university student initially tested negative for the virus, but a subsequent test at the national lab in Winnipeg was positive. Health officials say her symptoms are minor.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

Feb. 4, 2020: Health officials announce another presumptive confirmed case in B.C. Henry says the woman had family visiting from China’s Hubei province and she is in isolation at her home.

Feb. 5, 2020: British Columbia’s second case of coronavirus is confirmed by the National Microbiology Lab.

Businesses cut travel over COVID-19
Businesses cut travel over COVID-19

Feb. 6, 2020: Henry announces two new cases of COVID-19 in B.C., noting both people were in the same household as the woman diagnosed with the province’s second case.

Story continues below advertisement

Feb. 12, 2020: Ontario health officials say the woman from London, Ont., no longer has the novel coronavirus in her system. It marks the first time a case of the illness has been resolved in Canada.

Feb. 14, 2020: Officials in B.C. announce the province’s fifth case of COVID-19. The woman in her 30s who lives in B.C.’s Interior recently returned from Hubei province.

Feb. 19, 2020: Henry announces that the person diagnosed with B.C.’s first case of the new coronavirus has recovered. It’s the first time this has happened in the province.

READ MORE: COVID-19: Canada’s tourism industry braces for impact amid coronavirus outbreak

Feb. 20, 2020: A woman who recently returned from Iran is diagnosed with British Columbia’s sixth case of COVID-19. She’s the first person in the country diagnosed with the illness who did not recently visit China. Meanwhile, in Ontario, the man who had Canada’s first case of the virus is cleared after testing negative for the illness twice in 24 hours.

Feb. 21, 2020: A third case of coronavirus in Ontario is resolved.

Feb. 23, 2020: Officials in Toronto announce Ontario has a new case of coronavirus — the fourth to be diagnosed in the province. The woman arrived in Toronto from China several days earlier.

Story continues below advertisement

Feb. 24, 2020: Henry announces a seventh person in B.C. has been diagnosed with the new coronavirus. The man in his 40s was in close contact with the woman who has the province’s sixth case of the illness.

Feb. 26, 2020: Ontario officials announce a fifth diagnosis in the province: a woman in her 60s who recently travelled to Iran.

Feb. 27, 2020: Quebec public health officials report the province’s first presumptive case, a woman from the Montreal region who recently returned from Iran. Ontario officials also confirm a sixth case of COVID-19 in the province. They say the man in his 60s is the husband of Ontario’s fifth patient with the virus.

READ MORE: COVID-19: Can you be infected with coronavirus more than once?

Story continues below advertisement

Feb. 28, 2020: Ontario reports a seventh confirmed case — a man in his 50s who had travelled to Iran. The man arrived in Toronto on Tuesday, Feb. 25 and went to the emergency department of Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre the next day. It also reports its eighth case: a man in his 80s with a travel history to Egypt. Officials said he arrived in the city on Feb. 20 and went to the Scarborough Health Network’s General Hospital’s emergency department on Thursday.

Feb. 29, 2020: Health officials in British Columbia say a woman in her 60s who travelled from Iran is the eighth case of COVID-19 in the province. Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says the woman has a relatively mild case and she is in self-isolation at home. Health officials in Ontario report another three cases — two women who had recently made separate trips to Iran, and the 69-year-old husband of one of those women, who had no recent travel history.

March 1, 2020: Ontario officials diagnose four new cases — three in York Region and one in Toronto. All four patients had recently travelled abroad. One had travelled to Egypt with a man who was later diagnosed with the virus, while the rest had recently been in Iran.

Tips for avoiding community transmission of COVID-19
Tips for avoiding community transmission of COVID-19

March 2, 2020: Ontario announces three new cases — two women who had travelled to Egypt and a man who had travelled to Iran.

Story continues below advertisement

March 3, 2020: Ontario announces two new cases — one person who had travelled to Egypt and another who had travelled to Iran. British Columbia announces four new cases involving people with links to travel from Iran. Officials in B.C. are also asking travellers from China and Iran to isolate themselves for 14 days when they return home to Canada.

March 4, 2020: B.C. announces a new case — a woman who had recently traveled to India and Hong Kong. According to Henry, the woman is in her 80s and is currently in critical condition while under isolation at a Vancouver General Hospital’s ICU.

March 5, 2020: B.C. announced eight new cases, including Canada’s first-ever case possibly contracted within the community, rather than through travel or contact with other cases. Ontario announced three new cases, including the first in the Waterloo region. Quebec announced one confirmed case and one presumptive case, while Alberta announced its very first presumptive case. All the new cases are reportedly in stable condition.

March 6, 2020: Ontario announced another three new cases, while Alberta announced a second presumptive case.

— With files from Global News