Advertisement

Candle sparks fire at apartment building in Saskatoon

The Saskatoon Fire Department said the apartment building’s sprinkler system put out the fire prior to their arrival. File Photo / Global News

A candle sparked a fire that forced the evacuation of a 13-storey apartment building in Saskatoon on Sunday.

The Saskatoon Fire Department (SFD) said it received a residential fire signal from the building at 530 25th St. E. at 3:23 p.m.

READ MORE: Home and vehicle fire prevention during winter weather

Nothing was showing from the exterior of the building when crews arrived, but a check found smoke on the third floor from a fire in a suite, SFD said.

The building was evacuated and residents were taken to the neighbouring YWCA building. Tenants with mobility issues were sheltered in their suites.

The fire department said the building’s sprinkler system put out the fire prior to their arrival, but heavy smoke remained throughout the third floor.

Story continues below advertisement

Higher carbon monoxide levels were reported on the third floor and above, SFD said, and positive pressure ventilation was used on each floor to remove smoke and toxic gasses.

READ MORE: First responders facing Saskatchewan winter challenges

Residents were allowed back to their apartments once carbon monoxide levels returned to zero.

A fire investigator determined a candle ignited stationary on a desk, starting the fire.

Damage is estimated at $100,000 due to the significant amount of water discharged from the sprinkler system.

Click to play video: 'Year in review with fire department chief Morgan Hackl' Year in review with fire department chief Morgan Hackl
Year in review with fire department chief Morgan Hackl – Dec 31, 2019

Sponsored content