Langley house fire leaves 1 dead, 2 in hospital

One man dead following overnight house fire in Langley
Crew responded to an overnight blaze that left one man dead at a home in Langley.

One person is dead after an early morning fire in Langley.

Fire officials say crews arrived at a two-storey home on 74B Avenue near 208 Street just before 2:30 a.m. and found flames shooting from the building.

READ MORE: Surrey residents displaced by 3-alarm Halloween apartment fire

Resident James Wilson said he’d left the home about 15 minutes before the fire broke out, but that his girlfriend was still inside.

He said another man who lived in the home warned other residents, but died after going back towards the flames.

“[He] had come knocking and saying, ‘fire, fire,’ and before he could get out himself he was engulfed in flames, but the two other residents were able to get out the window, jumping off the second storey,” said Wilson.

“He died a hero, he sacrificed himself to get the other two out.”

Wilson said the man who died had oxygen tanks for his Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder (COPD), which may have exploded near him.

Story continues below advertisement

Crews had to break down a door to get into the house, according to officials.

“This was a defensive fire, meaning we fought it from the outside just because of the heavy involvement in there,” said Township of Langley Dept. Fire Chief Monty Armstrong.

“The residents inside alerted themselves about the fire, to get out — I’m not sure if there was working smoke alarms in here or not, but it just shows how important it is to have them in your house.”

Langley car enthusiast rebuilds decimated collection
Langley car enthusiast rebuilds decimated collection

Firefighters say five people were in the home at the time, one of whom did not survive.

Two people were reportedly taken to hospital, and the extent of their injuries was not immediately clear.

READ MORE: Recycling plant fire in Langley sends smoke across Lower Mainland

The fire seriously damaged the building and destroyed its roof.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation.