2 dead following brutal stabbing, police shooting in downtown Kingston

Click to play video: 'Cellphone videos show scene from violent Kingston stabbing as police engage suspect'
Cellphone videos show scene from violent Kingston stabbing as police engage suspect
Warning: Video contains violent and disturbing content. Cellphone videos taken at and near the scene shows a police officer confronting a suspect involved in multiple stabbings – Sep 12, 2019

Correction: An earlier version of this story stated that Kingston police arrived during the attack of the first victim. In fact, the SIU is reporting that Kingston police arrived during the second attack. The story has been changed to reflect that.

A Kingston man was shot by police after he stabbed two people on Thursday on Queen Street. Police sources confirmed that two people have died as a result of the incident.

The Special Investigations Unit has confirmed one of the deceased was the suspect in the stabbing.

According to an SIU, a 22-year-old man began attacking a 40-year-old man at Queen and Bagot streets on Thursday around 2 p.m. The 40-year-old man succumbed to the injuries he sustained during the attack, according to the SIU.

Kingston police then arrived and saw the 22-year-old attacking another individual, who Kingston police have now identified as an 85-year-old man, who survived the attack.

Story continues below advertisement

This is when Kingston police intervened. After a short altercation between police and the suspect, a police officer shot the suspect. Soon afterward, the 22-year-old began harming himself, and another officer discharged his conducted energy weapon, according to the SIU.

SIU says the man was pronounced dead at the scene. Four SIU investigators and three forensic investigators have been assigned to this incident. The post-mortem for the deceased suspect will take place on Friday in Kingston.

As of Friday, the condition of the second, 85-year-old victim is unclear.

Johnadeen Albertini was standing across the street from the incident, and he says he saw a man stabbing another man across the street.

“Please just stop,” Albertini can be heard shouting at the man from across the street in video from the altercation. Albertini said the man then looked over, and then grabbed another man and started stabbing him as well.

Albertini said police arrived within minutes, and there was an altercation between officers and the man with the knife.

WATCH: Witness describes brutal stabbing incident in downtown Kingston

Click to play video: 'Witness describes brutal stabbing incident in downtown Kingston'
Witness describes brutal stabbing incident in downtown Kingston

Albertini said police then fired shots at the man before he stabbed himself several times in the jugular.

Story continues below advertisement
A resident who was in a building nearby says they caught the shooting on camera. The photo shows a police officer pointing a gun at a man with a knife. Anonymous

Another man at the scene waiting to be interviewed by police corroborated Albertini’s account of the incident. The second man did not want to be identified.

A third witness, working in an office building within view of the scene, said he heard a gunshot and looked out his window to see terrified people running away.

Global Kingston has also received video footage from the incident that appears to show a man in a black shirt and grey pants, much like the image shown above, stabbing one man until he falls to the ground, and a police officer intervening. The video also shows a police officer allegedly shooting the man.

A second video obtained by Global News also shows the man repeatedly stabbing himself after he was shot.

A code orange was briefly called at Kingston General Hospital, but was deactivated shortly afterward. Otherwise, the hospital would not comment on the incident.

Story continues below advertisement

Queen Street was closed as a result of the investigation between Montreal Street and Wellington Street. Bagot Street was also closed between Princess and Barrack streets. The intersections were reopened Friday just before noon.

Kingston police say they cannot comment because the Special Investigations Unit are now investigating the incident.

“The SIU has invoked its mandate and we will be unable to provide any further information at this time,” Const. Ash Gutheinz said in an emailed statement.

The SIU is asking anyone who may have information about this incident or video of the altercation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529.

Sponsored content