Firefighters in Peachland doused a “stubborn” house fire that roared to life on Saturday afternoon.
The blaze along Somerset Avenue, and the black smoke it belched out, was alarming in its ferocity. The home, built alongside a hill, appears to be a likely write-off, according to the Peachland Fire Department.
READ MORE: North End house fire kills man, two cats
James Springer of the Peachland Fire Department said they were called to the fire at approximately 1:10 p.m.
“It was fully involved when we got here, so lots of fire. And it spread to grass around the structure to begin with,” said Springer. “Other than that, just a stubborn, big fire.”
Springer said there was someone home at the time of the fire, but he was able to safely escape. Springer said the other occupant was away at the time of the fire.
Global News viewer photos
Asked what sparked the fire, Springer said “we don’t know what started it. It’s still under investigation.”
Springer said the fire appeared to have started inside the house, “but we’ll have a better look at that once we get things settled down.”
Springer added it was a wind-driven fire, which made conditions a little more difficult to work in.
A neighbour’s shed was reportedly damaged by the fire.
Emergency crews in the Central Okanagan were scrambling on Saturday afternoon to douse a sudden and raging house fire along Somerset Avenue in Peachland.
It’s unknown so far how the fire started.