Curtis Sagmoen will be facing one less charge when his court case goes to trial in Vernon this December.
Sagmoen was originally charged with assault causing bodily harm and assault. On Tuesday, though, the Crown stayed the charge of assault in its case against Sagmoen.
WATCH BELOW (Aired Feb. 4, 2019) Curtis Sagmoen pleads guilty to 2013 assault of sex-trade worker
B.C. Prosecution Service spokesperson Dan McLaughlin said the charge of assault causing bodily harm involving a different complainant will proceed on Dec. 9 in Vernon Supreme Court.
“As the matter remains before the court, the (B.C. Prosecution Service) will have no comment at this time regarding the reason for the stay,” said McLaughlin.
Sagmoen is also facing an eight-count indictment in Vernon, including alleged reckless discharge of a firearm, uttering threats, using a firearm and having his face masked. That trial is slated to start on Sept. 9 and is scheduled to last for seven days.
WATCH BELOW (Aired Dec. 13, 2018) Absolute discharge in Vernon mischief case involving homemade spike belt
In February, in Port Coquitlam, Sagmoen pleaded guilty in relation to a 2013 attack on a sex-trade worker in Maple Ridge. He had been facing a charge of assault causing bodily harm, but pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of assault.
Sagmoen was sentenced to 30 days in prison but received credit for time already served. He will not face additional jail time in relation to the 2013 assault, but is in custody on unrelated charges.
— With files from Jon Azpiri and Tanya Beja