Death at Lethbridge water treatment plant under investigation

Click to play video: 'OHS investigation into workplace death continues' OHS investigation into workplace death continues
WATCH ABOVE: A 51-year-old man is dead following a workplace incident at the water treatment plant. Kyle Benning has the details – Mar 4, 2019

One person has died in a workplace incident at the Lethbridge water treatment plant.

Lethbridge police confirmed the death Friday evening and Alberta Labour told Global News Occupational Health and Safety had secured the work site and is investigating.

On Monday, OHS said the incident occurred at noon on March 1. A 51-year-old man was struck by a piece of “wheeled telehandler equipment.”

That is a piece of equipment used to transport loads with a bucket or pallet-type attachment on the front.

READ MORE: Alberta Labour confirms Lethbridge workplace death was a medical event

The site was released back to the prime contractor, Maple Reinders Group, at 6:15 p.m. on Sunday, OHS said.

Story continues below advertisement

Two stop-work orders were also issued to the contractor by OHS that will stay in place until Maple Reinders Group provides proof of “adequate worker safety training and evidence that manufacturer’s specifications will be followed.”

Alberta Labour said the OHS investigation will also determine whether any other measures will be taken.

Maple Reinders released a statement to Global News on Monday that in part read, “Safety is the number one priority for Maple Reinders. We have cooperated with Alberta OHS as they carried out their investigation, and we have also launched our own internal investigation to understand what happened and how we can work together to avoid it happening again.”

Alberta Labour isn’t releasing the man’s name or where he is from, but said he was hired by a temporary staffing firm.

There is no timeline for the investigation, but added it has to be completed within two years of the man’s death.

The City of Lethbridge said it was unable to comment on the incident but said the water treatment plant is currently undergoing major upgrades.

The OHS investigation is ongoing.

Sponsored content