R. Kelly pleads not guilty as Michael Avenatti claims there’s a 2nd sex video
NOTE: This article contains graphic, sexual language that some readers may find offensive and disturbing. Please read at your own discretion.
R&B star R. Kelly’s lawyer has entered a not guilty plea on his client’s behalf to multiple charges of criminal sexual abuse.
The 52-year-old singer appeared in a Chicago courtroom Monday for his arraignment with defence attorney Steve Greenberg.
WATCH BELOW: R. Kelly surrenders to police in Chicago after being indicted for sex abuse
Kelly’s next court date has been scheduled for March 22.
The Grammy-winning R&B singer spent the weekend in jail and showed up for Monday’s hearing in an orange jail jumpsuit. His lawyer, Steve Greenberg, says Kelly’s confidants are making arrangements to pay his $100,000 bail, but that co-ordinating the payment is complicated. He says Kelly could be released Monday or Tuesday.
“He has to rely on others acting on his behalf,” Greenberg said. “And it’s just not that easy — because Kelly’s in jail.”
WATCH: R. Kelly pleaded not guilty, working to get bond together, lawyer says
WARNING: Video may contain graphic language. Viewer discretion advised. The lawyer for R. Kelly said Monday that his client pleaded not guilty at arraignment and is working to get the bond together.
In arguing for bail within the singer’s ability to pay, Greenberg told a judge over the weekend that Kelly wasn’t wealthy despite decades of success creating hit songs. The lawyer blamed mismanagement, bad contracts and other issues for his client’s financial woes.
WATCH BELOW: R. Kelly broke, but should be able to get bond money: lawyer
Kelly is charged with 10 counts of aggravated sexual abuse involving four females, including three who were underage when prosecutors allege that the abuse occurred. Kelly, who was acquitted of child pornography charges in 2008, has denied wrongdoing and his attorney says he’s confident the singer will be vindicated.
At Monday’s hearing, the Trapped In The Closet singer’s case was assigned to the judge who would preside over the trial, Cook County Associate Judge Lawrence Flood.
WATCH BELOW: Lawyer for R.Kelly says if tapes exist in case, turn it over to police
Lawyer Michael Avenatti says his legal team has turned over to prosecutors a second video that he alleges shows Kelly sexually abusing a minor.
Avenatti, who represents two Kelly victims, previously gave prosecutors video evidence of what he says shows the singer having sex with an underage girl.
WATCH BELOW: Avenatti confirms second tape in R. Kelly case given to prosecutors
Avenatti said Monday that the second video also involves a 14-year-old girl, is about 55 minutes long and is from 1999 or 2000. He did not say if it was the same 14-year-old girl who he alleged was in the first video he turned over to the authorities.
He says he has learned of a third tape but did not provide details about it.
WATCH BELOW: Avenatti says they’ve learned of possible third videotape in R. Kelly case
Earlier on Monday, Avenatti took to Twitter to confirm he was providing a second video of the Ignition Remix singer.
“I can confirm that we will be providing a second video showing R. Kelly engaged in sexual assault of a minor to prosecutors this morning. This tape was recently uncovered in connection with our ongoing nationwide investigation on behalf of victims. Justice must be done,” he wrote to Twitter.
— With files from the Associated Press
If you or someone you know is experiencing abuse or is involved in an abusive situation, please visit the Canadian Resource Centre for Victims of Crime for help. They are also reachable toll-free at 1-877-232-2610.
© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.