Advertisement
Canada

Kids suffer headaches at tournament after CO builds up in Montmartre Arena

SaskEnergy said technicians from the utility noted CO present at the ice surface at the Montmartre Arena, as well as in the lobby.
SaskEnergy said technicians from the utility noted CO present at the ice surface at the Montmartre Arena, as well as in the lobby. File / Global News

A kids’ hockey tournament in Saskatchewan was cancelled after some players developed headaches and officials suspected they may have been suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Scott Dusyk, the president of the arena board in Montmartre, said the Atom tournament was underway on Saturday when some of the kids complained of headaches.

READ MORE: Parents angry about lack of answers after carbon monoxide leak at Montreal school hospitalizes dozens of children

The Saskatchewan Health Authority confirmed some people from the incident were seen in local hospitals, but a spokesman wasn’t able to disclose how many patients there were or the severity of their symptoms.

SaskEnergy said technicians from the utility responded and noted the gas was present at the ice surface, as well as in the arena’s lobby.

READ MORE: Working CO detectors can save lives

Story continues below advertisement

Spokeswoman Casey MacLeod said all of the building’s equipment that runs on natural gas was operating normally, and the technician suspected fumes from the Zamboni were the source for the carbon monoxide.

MacLeod said there were a couple of vents in the building that hadn’t been opened due to the extreme cold in the province on Saturday.

Montmartre is roughly 90 kilometres southeast of Regina.

WATCH BELOW: The dangers of carbon monoxide

The dangers of carbon monoxide
The dangers of carbon monoxide