November 27, 2018 8:52 am

Chilliwack RV fire sparks a warning about space heaters

A tenant turns on a space heater in her Parc Extension apartment after complaining that the heat was too low.

Global News
A A

Chilliwack firefighters have a warning for people who use space heaters in confined areas after crews were called late Monday afternoon to douse a blaze that torched the interior of a recreational vehicle (RV) in the 9700 block of Skrhelam Crescent.

It turns out the vehicle owner had earlier placed a space heater inside the RV.

READ MORE: Torched camper raises new concerns about Vancouver’s RV-living community

Crews put out the fire before it could spread to neighbouring vehicles.

The vehicle’s interior was destroyed but fortunately, no one was hurt.

READ MORE: Fire destroys RV camper north of Port Hope

Fire officials are reminding homeowners that all heaters need at least three feet of space apart from anything that can burn, and they should also be placed on a solid, flat surface.

© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.