October 13, 2018 2:04 am
Updated: October 13, 2018 5:57 pm

1 dead, 1 critically injured in south Calgary shooting Friday night: EMS

WATCH: The Calgary homicide unit is now investigating a shooting in Signal Hill that has left one man dead and another person in hospital on Friday night. As Carolyn Kury de Castillo reports, the hunt is on for suspects.


One man died and one person was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries after a shooting in southwest Calgary on Friday night. EMS told Global News both victims were in their 20s.

Four ambulances and more than dozen police vehicles attended the scene in the 100 block of Signal Hill Circle just after 11 p.m. Friday.

Calgary police in Signal Hill Friday night.

Blake Lough/Global News

A K9 unit and a tactical unit were observed on scene after midnight.

On Saturday, police said the second victim’s status was updated to stable. Police remained on scene, speaking to witnesses.

Crews on scene at a fatal shooting Friday night.

Blake Lough/Global News

Dan Hibbert lives down the street from the shooting

“I heard noises and then a bunch of shouting,” he said.

“I heard the shots but I didn’t know what it was. This is a super quiet neighbourhood, so I was kind of surprised.”

Calgary search and rescue looks for evidence on Signal Hill Heights southwest on Saturday, October 13, 2018.

Carolyn Kury de Castillo/Global News

His son, Cole Hibbert, saw someone running down the street.

“I heard a couple of loud bangs, maybe four. I thought maybe something had just been dropped,” he said.

“I heard a lot of yelling too,” Cole added. “Thought it was kind of weird.”

He was glad that police responded quickly.

“It’s nice to know that we are safe in that way but it’s just nothing you’d ever expect to happen in this neighborhood,” Cole said. “It’s generally such a nice neighborhood.”

Bullet holes were seen after the shooting on Friday in southwest Calgary.

Carolyn Kury de Castillo/Global News

Paul Lee lives next door to the house where the shooting occurred.

“Just a horrible tragedy,” he said.

“There was a lot of cop cars. It was cordoned off,” Lee added. “I tried to get back in and it took me quite a few hours to get back in, just because of all the yellow tape and everything.”

– With files from Carolyn Kury de Castillo

Global News
Help us improve Globalnews.ca

© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error


Comments closed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on globalnews.ca, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.

Please see our Commenting Policy for more.