Advertisement

Humboldt schools open for first time since tragic bus crash

Click to play video 'Support planning after Humboldt bus crash began hours after incident' Support planning after Humboldt bus crash began hours after incident
Humboldt school officials said Tuesday that preparations for support of students and staff after the Humboldt Broncos fatal bus crash started in the hours after the crash – Apr 10, 2018

Schools in Humboldt, Sask., will open for the first time since the tragic Humboldt Broncos bus crash on April 6.

Fifteen people were killed and 14 others were injured after the bus and a tractor-trailer crashed at the intersection in eastern Saskatchewan.

READ MORE: After Humboldt crash, Winnipeg letter bombing survivor praises community support, GoFundMe

Twelve people remain in hospital, four in critical condition.

Kevin Garinger, director of education for the Horizon School Division and president of the Broncos, said five players on the team attended the local high school, and three had previously graduated. He also said some of the teachers were billet families.

FULL COVERAGE: Humboldt Broncos bus crash 

Story continues below advertisement

“As a school division, Horizon is doing everything we can to support our students, staff and communities through this tragedy,” Horizon School Division officials said in a release the day after the crash.

“In the coming days, we will be working to determine how best to support students and staff as we navigate these unthinkable circumstances.”

The province has deployed resources to the community to help those in need of counselling or mental health supports.

Support and resources are also available through Healthline 811 and the Kids Help Phone at 1-800-668-6868.

WATCH: Highlights from Horizon School Division press conference