April 5, 2018 2:07 pm
Updated: April 5, 2018 3:27 pm

Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson talks about Vin Diesel feud on ‘Fast and Furious’ set

ABOVE: Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson dishes on his public feud with co-star Vin Diesel.

A A

WARNING: This post contains graphic language

Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson recently opened up about his public feud with his Fast and the Furious co-star Vin Diesel.

More than a year after the pair made their behind-the-scenes feud public, Johnson gave some insight into what happened between him and Diesel.

Story continues below

Johnson’s Hobbs character and Diesel’s Toretto character do share a scene together in the most recent Fast and the Furious film, but many viewers had pointed out that the editing made it seem like neither Johnson nor Diesel shot Fate of the Furious at the same time.

READ MORE: Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson opens up about battle with depression: ‘I was crying constantly’

Johnson confirmed that they did not shoot together at all.

“That is correct. We were not in any scenes together,” Johnson said of the production on Fate of the Furious. “Vin and I had a few discussions, including an important face-to-face in my trailer. And what I came to realize is that we have a fundamental difference in philosophies on how we approach movie-making and collaborating,” Johnson said.

He continued: “It took me some time, but I’m grateful for that clarity. Whether we work together again or not.”

WATCH BELOW: The Rock, Vin Diesel reportedly being kept apart on ‘Fate of the Furious’ press tour

Despite the rocky relationship between the two, Johnson said he wishes Diesel “all the best.”

“But I wish him all the best, and I harbour no ill will there, just because of the clarity we have. Actually, you can erase that last part about ‘no ill will.’ We’ll just keep it with the clarity,” he told Rolling Stone.

READ MORE: The Rock is the Sexiest Man Alive and here are 7 reasons why

The first sign of trouble between the co-stars came in August 2016 when Johnson posted a message on Instagram venting about his frustrations over filming. He thanked his hard-working crew and female co-stars but he criticized some of his male co-stars writing, “Some conduct themselves as stand up men and true professionals, while others don’t. The ones that don’t are too chicken sh*t to do anything about it anyway. Candy asses.”

After some brief fallout and an alleged showdown on set, Universal Pictures insisted that the feud was finished.

“What happened is over,” said a studio source at the time. “No one expects there to be any lingering effects. When it comes time to promote the movie, this will have no bearing.”

READ MORE:Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson confirms he’s ‘seriously considering’ a run for U.S. President in 2024

Both actors have addressed the situation previously without getting into too much detail.

“I was very clear with what I said. I’ve been in the game a long time,” Johnson told The Los Angeles Times in November 2016. “Would Universal [Pictures] have preferred that didn’t happen? Sure, we talked about it. The irony is after that and as they do their tracking and all their analysis, the interest shot through the roof to a whole other level.”

Diesel addressed the matter in a 2017 interview with USA Today.

“I don’t think the world really realizes how close we are, in a weird way,” he said of Johnson. “I think some things may be blown out of proportion. I don’t think that was his intention. I know he appreciates how much I work [for] this franchise. In my house, he’s Uncle Dwayne.”

“I’m always rooting for Dwayne,” he added. “I’m the first multicultural megastar in Hollywood. They didn’t exist. To see another multicultural star come up is something I am very proud of.”

READ MORE: Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson announces new fitness reality show

While it’s been some time since the infamous feud, Johnson is unsure of his future with the Fast and the Furious franchise.

“Right now I’m concentrating on making the [Fast and Furious’ Hobbs and Shaw] spinoff as good as it can be,” Johnson said.

The Fast and Furious spinoff — which also co-stars Jason Statham — is due in theatres next year.

© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.

Global News