March 8, 2018 11:51 pm
Updated: March 8, 2018 11:57 pm

Ontario reviewing call for public inquiry related to alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur’s case

WATCH ABOVE: A complaint has been filed by the lead detective in the Bruce McArthur investigation against a fellow officer. As Catherine McDonald reports, it relates to a detective who interviewed Bruce McArthur in 2016 after a complaint was made. (March 7)

A A

TORONTO – Ontario’s attorney general says the government is reviewing a call from Toronto’s mayor for a public inquiry into the police handling of missing persons cases, including six men allegedly murdered by accused serial killer Bruce McArthur.

Yasir Naqvi says the government will maintain an open dialogue with the city on next steps following the conclusion of any criminal proceedings.

Story continues below

Questions about the handling of two previous police investigations into five missing men arose as detectives investigated McArthur, a 66-year-old landscaper who is facing six charges of first-degree murder. All the alleged victims had ties to the city’s LGBTQ community.

READ MORE: ‘Concerning’ information related to alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur triggers internal police probe

Mayor John Tory said Wednesday that he was “deeply disturbed” after learning that “concerning” information uncovered during the McArthur investigation had prompted an internal police probe.

Tory said he would also support an independent external review of the Toronto Police Service’s practices with respect to missing person’s investigations.

He said that probe should look at any systemic concerns, including examination of any bias contrary to the Ontario Human Rights Code against any group, including the LGBTQ community.

“We recognize that there are many unanswered questions,” Naqvi said Thursday in a statement.

READ MORE: ‘Love Wins’ concert planned in Toronto after arrest of alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur

Police spokeswoman Meaghan Gray said Wednesday that the force’s professional standards unit launched the internal investigation on Monday, but she also declined to discuss the nature of the information that prompted the probe.

Two sources with knowledge of the case, but who did not want their names used because they were not authorized to speak publicly, told The Canadian Press that the “concerning” information was linked to a police interview with McArthur years ago for an unrelated incident.

Members of the city’s LGBTQ community have complained for years that police were ignoring their concerns about a possible serial killer on the loose. Late last year, Toronto police assured the community that there was no known link between the different missing person cases.

© 2018 The Canadian Press

Report an error

Comments

Comments closed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on globalnews.ca, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.

Please see our Commenting Policy for more.