Parole board puts conditions on Edmonton hostage taker’s release
A man who took nine people hostage at gunpoint in Edmonton is again eligible for statutory release but he will be required to stay at a half-way house and follow a series of other conditions.
Patrick Clayton was sentenced to 11 years after pleading guilty to hostage taking, pointing a firearm and possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose for the 2009 standoff at the Worker’s Compensation Board office.
He had been granted day parole in 2015 and transitioned into statutory release, which requires offenders who aren’t serving a life sentence to be released after they’ve served two-thirds of their sentence.
Clayton’s release was revoked in May 2017 after he admitted to using crystal meth and failed to return to the community-based residential facility where he had been living.
He’s again eligible for statutory release.
The Parole Board of Canada says it has imposed eight special conditions for his release.
They include staying at an approved residential facility; not consuming alcohol and drugs; not entering any offices occupied by the Worker’s Compensation Board; and, reporting any relationships with women to his parole supervisor.
“Overnight leave privileges are not supported as you have no confirmed community support,” says the Feb. 10 decision.
He has been accepted at two facilities in B.C.’s Fraser Valley.
Watch below: On May 27, 2016, Kendra Slugoski filed this report about the potential statutory release of a man who took nine people hostage at the WCB building in Edmonton. At the time, there were concerns about Patrick Clayton’s drug use and violence.
© 2018 The Canadian Press