One of the last indoor pools in Fredericton is once again facing closure this September, after talks between the University of New Brunswick and the city of Fredericton fell apart.
The latest development in the ongoing saga around the Sir Max Aitken Pool was announced on Thursday by Fredericton Mayor Mike O’Brien.
“We understand this decision is not what competitive swimmers in the region will want to hear, but while we’re supportive of keeping the pool open longer, after long deliberation and review, it is not sustainable to continue to operate the facility,” said O’Brien, as part of a joint statement by UNB and the city.
The decision reverses an announcement made just last month, that UNB would seek to keep the pool open until 2019 if Fredericton agreed to share the operating costs of the facility.
It appears those talks were not successful.
As a result, the facility is now set to close in September 2018.
Today’s announcement makes it clear that the age of the building and its systems make it too risky to invest in refurbishing the pool.
“This news will undoubtedly bring disappointment and frustration to people who depend on a competitive pool and we empathize with them,” said UNB’s vice-president academic, George MacLean.
WATCH: Fredericton and UNB pool talks at standstill, users groups concerned over next steps
It also puts pressure back on to the city’s partnership with the YMCA to explore options of constructing an indoor pool and field house in the region.
When the Aitken pool closes in September, the city will have only one indoor pool, the Fredericton indoor pool, available to city residents.