January 17, 2018 6:54 am
Updated: January 17, 2018 10:50 am

Justin Trudeau says he’s not ready to scrap or restart MMIWG

A number of survivors, families and Indigenous leaders have called for the federal government to formally restart the process due to concerns over operational matters with the inquiry.

THE CANADIAN PRESS/Andrew Vaughan
A A

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says his government is a long way from “starting over or scrapping” the federally funded inquiry into missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls.

In a roundtable interview with The Canadian Press, Trudeau said the government is monitoring the work of the commission and its staff.

READ MORE: 2nd executive director of MMIWG inquiry resigns

Last week, the commission confirmed the departure of its second executive director but declined to comment further, citing personnel issues.

It said the staffing change will not delay the work of the commission as it eyes a formal extension application for money and time to do its work.

WATCH: MMIW report asks for more time and more money

Trudeau’s government has earmarked two years and $53.8 million for the study, aimed at examining root causes of violence toward Indigenous women and girls.

A number of survivors, families and Indigenous leaders have called for the federal government to formally restart the process due to concerns over operational matters with the inquiry.

© 2018 The Canadian Press

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.