London police lay 137 charges during ‘Operation Impact’ campaign
Final numbers from this year’s iteration of the ‘Operation Impact’ campaign have been released by London police.
The national campaign ran over the Thanksgiving long weekend from Oct. 6 to Oct. 9 and involved police services across Canada.
In London, police officials say they laid a total of 137 charges during the campaign, aimed at making Canada’s roads the safest in the world.
Aggressive driving took the top spot for charges related to the “Big Four” factors – distracted driving, impaired driving, aggressive driving, and lack of seatbelt use – with 24, including 21 for speeding.
Distracted driving came second with 10 charges, followed by impaired driving and lack of seatbelt use with six each, police said.
In addition, 91 other charges, including traffic light and stop sign violations, and insurance-related charges, were laid, police said.
“Seatbelt use, aggressive, impaired and distracted driving are behaviours that continue to put drivers, passengers and other road users at risk,” said London police Sgt. Sean Harding in a statement Thursday. “The London Police Service will continue to work on public compliance to our traffic laws with the goal of improving road safety.”
Seventy-nine collisions were investigated by London police officers during the four-day campaign, a decline from the 111 seen during last year’s campaign.
© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.