WATCH: Winnipeg Blue Bombers react to 30-13 loss to Hamilton Tiger-Cats

WINNIPEG – The Hamilton Tiger-Cats snapped the Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ five-game home win streak by beating them 30-13 at Investors Group Field on Friday.

With the victory, the Tiger-Cats improve to 4-10 to keep their playoff hopes alive. Winnipeg, on the other hand, sees its record drop to 10-4.

RELATED: Ticats’ playoff chances slim, but not dead

Bombers quarterback Matt Nichols was kept off the field in the second half of the game with an apparent hand injury. He was sacked three times in the first two quarters, two of which caused him to fumble the ball. Nichols completed 14 of 18 passes in the game for 158 yards, a touchdown and interception before being replaced by Dominique Davis. There was no word on his status following the loss.

Hamilton struck early as Brandon Banks caught a Jeremiah Masoli 60-yard pass for a crowd-silencing touchdown 1:35 into the game. Sergio Castillo added a 38-yard field goal to give the Tiger-Cats a 10-0 lead at the end of the first quarter.

Story continues below advertisement

The Bombers eventually found the scoreboard in the following frame thanks to a Timothy Flanders five-yard touchdown run. The scoring drive was aided by a trick play which saw Darvin Adams take a direct snap before completing a 44-yard pass to Andrew Harris.

Costillo put up two more field goals in the second including one from 50 yards out. The kicker was injured late in the quarter while trying to make a tackle off a missed field goal. Castillo needed help getting off the field and did not return.

Winnipeg inched within six points with a Justin Medlock 48-yard field just before halftime. The Bombers had a chance to go into the break in front but Nichols was intercepted by Richard Leonard at Hamilton’s seven-yard line in the final seconds of the quarter. It’s the first time Nichols has been picked off at Investors Group Field since the Bombers’ home opener on July 7.

RELATED: Security measures increase at Winnipeg sporting venues

The Tiger-Cats rode momentum into the third quarter, posting a major less than five minutes in to go up 22-10. Banks recovered a 42-yard Masoli punt to set up an Alex Green touchdown plunge. Masoli later connected with Luke Tasker in the fourth for a three-yard touchdown. Hamilton was successful on its two-point convert attempt following the Tasker score.

Winnipeg’s only points in the second half came off a Medlock 38-yard field goal.

Story continues below advertisement

The Tiger-Cats return to Hamilton to host the league-leading Calgary Stampeders next Friday. The Bombers continue their four-game homestand on Oct. 14 against the BC Lions.

Sponsored content